Sunday 3 May 2009

Summer is coming!

Yes while you look forward to the long bright days, a break from the rain (hopefully), some sun and enjoyable temperatures here we start hiding indoors. There's not much to say: it's officially too hot to go to the beach now.

I tried today with a friend who's visiting. We went to the Yacht Club at 9:00 am; not a soul around. We stayed in the shade until the wind became so hot that it felt like having a giant hair dryer blown onto our face. It is a completely new concept for me not getting any relief from the blowing wind.
Bathing in the sea is still nice but you have to watch out for sun burns. We had a small child with us today and hunger struck quite early so at 11:30 we decided to flee to an air conditioned restaurant in town for an early lunch. Now I understand why they have afternoon naps in hot countries..

I went diving yesterday, that is probably one of the few outdoor activities that can be still sustained. It was a nice diversion and a great way to cool down. I love diving, it's so relaxing. The water temperature is around 26c (perfect!). Coming up, the last few meters on the surface feel like a bath tub and I didn't mind the hot wind on the boat in between dives; that's when I normally suffer because it gets too cold.
So diving it is from now on!
On the way to the dive centre early in the morning I passed the thermometer by the Souq (market) in Muttrah: there were 41c at 7:50am!
Shall I say more?
Summer is coming, enjoy yours!



1 comment:

Flipper said...

I'm happy to hear that living in an oven is at least not stopping you diving.. Have fun