Sunday 31 May 2009

On being an expat

I've been an expat for the last 13 years. First in Europe and now in the Middle East and who knows where else I may end up.

Today I have been pondering on what being an expat means to me and here are a few thoughts.
  • I have friends from all corners of the world
  • tho my friends come and go all the time
  • I don't consider “going back home” a holiday
  • I have a very lose concept of what is home
  • I think in a different language than my own
  • my everyday language is not my native lingo
  • flying between continents feels just like jumping on a taxi, distances have become relative
  • every day is a new adventure
  • the internet is my lifeline (to keep in touch, to feel connected)

The emigrant's destiny: The foreign country has not become home, but home has become foreign (Alfred Polger)

No comments: