Sunday 1 March 2009

Portaloos

Since the last post we've been paintballing (auch!), to James Blunt concert (and before you do: no need to comment on the choice, there is no choice here), to an environmental walk along the beach front followed by pork-based breakfast with a lovely view over the sun-studded sea at the Crowne Plaza.

The concert was on the grounds of the Intercontinental Hotel. This was a big event in town so we kept on bumping onto people we know, as it happens whenever you go out in Muscat.

This may sound a bit funny but I found myself intrigued by the temporary toilet facilities on site..
Ok have I run out of things to say? No. I always tell you about wonderful places and beautiful beaches I thought that maybe it is starting to get a bit boring for you. So I'll throw some other curiosity in.

The thing is that having eperienced the portaloos at summer music festivals in England I couldn't help to notice the differences with a grin on my face. I know it's a bit sad but it made me smile and if a toilet does that then it warrants some space on the blog.

First of all there were male and female portaloo sections: I don't remember well as it's been a while since I roughed it at a music festival in the UK but I don't think they do this in England (or do they nowdays??). Then there was a toilet attendant sitting outside the row of portaloos to make sure that the cubicles were sparyed with air freshener on a regular basis and toilet paper refilled (!?). Once you got in the toilets they were dry, as clean as you can expect a portaloo to be and also had a packet of dettol wet wipes to disinfect your hands after you had finished your business.
Ah and of course stepping out there was no mud.

I thought it was hilarious. I wanted to take a photo of the male/female set up but I thought I'd look like a bit of a weirdo photographing toilets. I have already been labelled a compulsive photographer. I think it's bad enough that I am putting this on the blog but I am sure that anyone else who has endured the rough reality of portaloos at an open air festival in the UK would have found this just as amusing ;) - maybe this is a sign that I may be turning into an uncanny expat or I am running out of things to blog on ;)

On another note, I know that a few of you have requested to see photos of the house. It is true that I am no longer working and should have no excuses but planning for the future and doing nothing seems to take much more time ;)

I'll get it sorted soon. :)

No comments: