Sunday 12 June 2011

The concept of beauty...three years on

The topic of "arabisation" is a recurrent subject amongst friends when we come to the realization that we may have been living in this part of the world a little bit too long. This realization usually strikes when casually noticing (and finding it totally normal) a certain tendency to be attracted to bling accessories and knickknacks.
This was exactly the subject of my friend A's very recent post after she went out and ordered a "Middle East Edition" of the the otherwise sober looking Sony Vayo. To see this wonderful piece of art you may visit the aforementioned post and figure.

In my mind I like to think that I am immune to this slow (yet dramatic) transformation in taste however today I surrendered that illusion after realising that for the last 2 days I have been fighting to desperately fit my Jeep with the beautiful steering wheel cover depicted below.


Yes that's what I shamelessly drive around with (also notice the shiny blue furry cushion I placed on the seat for added comfort).

Now, before you jump to any conclusions let me tell you that there is a (to me) plausible explanation to all this:

1. I did not purchase the furry object. It was a present given to husband as a joke; It had been laying with no purpose around the house since last Christmas.

2. The steering wheel gets really hot while the car is parked under the summer sun. With hot I mean that it literally scalds your fingers! Which makes it quite challenging to maneuver the car for the first 10-15 minutes when you drive off.


The other day seeing this thing laying around in the house I had my Eureka moment...

I admit that it is not exactly my idea of beauty but somehow I worry that it doesn't bother me at all to be seen sporting this stuff around. 

I will not comment in the cushion.

3 years ago, around this time of the year, after stumbling upon her blog, I was writing an email to my, then to me unknown friend to be A. asking what life in Oman was like.... I realise now that should have asked the right questions!

No comments: