Sunday 31 October 2010

I have not been sucked into a black hole!

Just things have been a bit hectic. Here are some highlights for the last 2 months


•  I have learned that goats in Musandam commute by boat and use cars (their own way)
•    My mental in-sanity is reaching dangerous levels
•    I managed to lose my boarding pass at Dubai Airport between check-in and the departure gate.
•    Drove 450km and back to spend 3 days camping on a desolate beach backed by some idyllic white dune desert. Stopped twice at military check points I practiced my rudimental Arabic eagerly (to the bemusement of the local soldiers) only to find out that my vehicle registration had expired a week earlier.
•    I have finally stopped sustaining the local car rental company and am now the proud owner of a Jeep Cherokee Liberty.
•    Spent some lovely time in the company of Bro. & co. who just left after two weeks of holidays with us.
•    At the last dune-driving practice weekend I almost rolled the car over with all the family in it; the horrified look on their faces when they found themselves hanging sideways was priceless; my “oh-shit-how-do-I-get-out-of-this-now” expression must have been even better. Shame that in the midst of panic nobody thought of taking a photo.
•    I learned that going through an automatic car wash forgetting to secure the car roof top is NOT a good idea
•    I have also learned that the Cherokee must somehow be a little bit longer than the average Yaris after I unintentionally tested the front bumper against the wall of the house carving the plate into it
•    I have a month worth of studying to catch up with, balls and receptions to attend, camping weekends ahead, some work just to feel less guilty (who me?) and a lot of social distractions; it won't be long before it's time to go on a holiday again!

Seriously, I will try to find some time to update the blog.

No comments: