Saturday 17 July 2010

Littering - when people take no care


In the little time spent here I have learnt that there are a few things that really push my buttons, some in a very explosive way. It takes a lot of self control because in some occasions I can really feel the steam building up and escaping from my ears while the face gets red from the effort I put into restraining myself. Take the scene that I witnessed just a few moments ago just round the corner from home. This is not a first and I know that it is not unique nor unusual & that’s in my view what aggravates the situation.

I am driving back home. A car slows down and strangely drives close to the left side of the road, close to a wall. I stop wondering for a few seconds on the possible reasons. They could be millions; unusual behaviour on the roads is the norm here. It is an unpaved stretch of road; maybe the driver finds the ground smoother on that side is what I think to myself, he is driving a shiny 4x4 after all; you have to be careful. Then the answer becomes clear: a little blue plastic bag puffed up by its unwanted contents and neatly tied into a knot swings lightly into the air and lands on the side of the road. I stand there numbed by the sad scene: there is a bin only 30m away and the idiot doesn’t even have to walk, just drive there and spend the same amount of energy to drop the bag into the bin. I can think of a number of other big bins along the way where he could have dropped his damn rubbish but no, he had to dump it along the road. I have seen this before, in the middle of town too. Now this is not the only country where this happens (littering is a big problem worldwide and sometimes it is also a (mis)cultural thorn: people just think it's not their problem or responsibility) but seeing it happening regularly and knowing the amazing beauty , natural spots and wildlife this country has been blessed with... well, seeing these scenes anywhere really pushes my rage button!

You would think that Muscat is a dirty city: it is immaculately clean. An army of  Indians  in orange uniforms cleans the streets every day; get out of the city on beautiful beaches and it is a completely different story: anywhere where it is too far for the little Indians to reach and where the sea delivers everything back (like for like) you can find a varied collection of rubbish scattered around. People camp and leave the rubbish there, neatly packed as if anyone was going to pick it up (???)…you see it smells in the car better out there. Of course it’s ravaged by animals by the end of the day and the rest is history.

 I always wonder what these idiots feel like after they engage in this kind of careless living, setting the example and making sure that the next generation follows. I remember as a child when my parents would make me pick any bit of rubbish that I dared to drop making me feel small and guilty: once or twice was enough for a lifetime learning; the kind of lesson that I will pass onto my kids one day.

I can only think that people like these are completely oblivious; dirty, careless and also a bit stupid or maybe just unlucky because nobody has ever taught them differently. Now who knows if there’s a way to report this here? Because I have the shiny car model, the colour and the number plate.

Want to do your bit? 
  • Do not throw rubbish from your car or anywhere (including cigarette butts & chewing gum!)
  • Take your own rubbish with you and dispose of it appropriately at the nearest facility
  • Burn your used toilet paper when camping (or take it in a small bag with you: less gross to leave it there for someone else to find or to fly around freely)
  • If you camp try to use washable plastic cutlery, plates and cups (so that you can re-use them instead of throwing more plastic away). If you can, wash them back at home.
  • If you have to use soaps when camping make sure they are non-toxic, biodegradable, phosphate-free (there are some brands available in supermarkets). Use as little as possible and as far away from sea and wadis as possible.
  • Google “green camping” for other ideas
  • Ever found yourself picking up someone else's rubbish? Be proud.
Other reads on this topic: 

*******







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fab post Ros. This is a thing that drives me mad too.

Sudan is the same, but without the street cleaners :{ Plastic bag trees are the norm, and people don't seem to notice.

Oman said...

but the really surprising thing is that people dump rubbish after a picnic - and then come back next week expecting it to be super clean again

Ros said...

ah,Oman, blame it on the orange suits!
Thanks Sue.