Sunday 3 January 2010

New Year Resolutions? What for?

So another year has rolled out and another has begun. Again. I still have to understand what the fuss is all about. I used to get so excited about this special day when I was younger, so full of expectations; now it is almost like a second birthday… it reminds me that another year has gone, rather than another one is coming. This is the time of the year when most people go through the bother of making a load of resolutions. Stop drinking, stop smoking, detox, lose weight, sign up to the gym. Imagine the gym almost empty around the end of December and then a week later the same room is suddenly full of all new wannabe fit hopefuls trying to work out that last slice of Christmas pudding they feel so guilty about. Of course the majority will have miserably dropped out by mid February.

I am lucky I don’t have that problem of having to compulsively burn calories at least (my body seems to do a good job on its own anyway)  but I wonder if, despite all the resistance, in the end I’ve fallen for this craziness too.

Today inspired by chance and taken by a moment of revelation, I went running (and now I’m aching too). It sounds like a New Year resolution but I can assure you that:
  1. Getting back into training has been in my mind for the last few months. I have just been extremely lazy
  2. I really don’t like running but some friends do this regularly and I happened to meet two of them this morning who told me they were going tonight so I thought that this was my chance to dust the sofa off my bum once and for all.
So here we go, going running is definitely not my resolution for the New Year although I am determined to improve my stamina, beat the laziness, take on a few challenges and learn something new.

Oh cool I have plenty of time… another 12 months! Now where is my pillow?

1 comment:

AZ said...

I have cancelled my gym membership. After the 13th or 14th reminder ("Madam, your membership is expiring"), I just told them to f*ck off. That's a resolution! And now? Should I start running too?