Friday 16 January 2009

Rain!!

If you thought it never rains in Muscat, think again. It DOES and when it does it is serious business.
We had confirmation a couple of days ago when a storm broke out.
I was alone at home, Simon was working rather late, typical that the first time had to be on a night like that. Hell broke out.
It started with lots of lightening, then a call from our maid telling me that she would not come the following day because her house was flooded and her things were floating away. Little did I know it was going to be us next.

I started unplugging electrical items as I realised the storm was coming but didn't manage to reach upstairs that the electricity went off. The whole area was in the dark. Things started bashing against the house outside, objects flying from the surrounding building sites lifted by the strong winds. Every now and then a flash of light would brighten up the rooms inside the house... then the water started flowing in. Huge pools of water formed at every window and with the strong wind blowing in a favourable direction water rushed in from under the kitchen and rooftop doors. In no time I heard water coming down the stairs like a waterfall splashing loudly on the landings all the way to the ground floor, the noise amplified by the echo. Running around trying not too slip on the wet floor and stairs I tried to stop the water coming in with every towel I could get hold of. Finally I found our torch. By the time I got to the kitchen the whole floor was covered with water.

I don't know who was more terrified: the cats scared by the noises were skidding around on the wet floors looking for cover or me worried that something might fly in through one of the windows.

By the time Simon was home after I called him in panic, the storm was over and gone. We stayed up till late to mop up all the water.

The following day the electricity was back. We had complete cloud cover and some more rain. It felt like being back in England. Although the wind had stopped and it wasn't as bad as the night before, more water came through every window.

If it wasn't for the wet floors it would have been even exciting but now I have had enough!

We knew the building quality here was bad but now we know just how bad. How hard it is to make windows and outer doors water tight is beyond my comprehension. I guess that although I hear that when it rains it is always heavy here, it is just not worth the effort (my opinion is not going to make the difference).

Today the sun is shining again. If it wasn't for the lower temperatures, some scattered clouds in the sky over the mountains, the puddles in the street and the mess brought by the wind, you'd think it was all a dream.

2 comments:

Flipper said...

that sounds a nightmare.. I hope it didn't leave any damage?
I take it that it was just surface water not like over here when they have floods and all the sewers back up!!! I hope so for your sakes.. Best wishes..

Anonymous said...

Oh No! non l'avevo letto questo....ora capisco perche' prima mi hai detto "spero non piova stasera"! Be' suppongo che questo e' il prezzo che devi pagare....be, si puo' anche sopportare! :) Bacioni. Sil